Although a unique breed the Bull Terrier has gained recognition lately for its part as the Target mascot. These dogs are stocky and muscular with an oval “egg shaped” head. This breed of dog belongs to the terrier family and was originally bred for dog fighting. Bull Terriers are described as being clownish, loyal and very attached to their owners. The dog fighting lifestyle they were originally bred for makes them often scrappy around other dogs.
Bull Terrier’s come in two sizes. The standard is 20-24 inches and weighs 45-80 pounds. The miniature is smaller standing 10-14 inches and weighing in at 24-33 pounds. The coat color can vary from white, brindle, black fawn and tri-color. Their coat is short and course. Bull Terriers need a moderate to active lifestyle and are not a dog that should be left alone for long periods of time.
Famous Bull Terriers:
- Bullseye: Target mascot
- Chico: The dog in Next Friday and Friday After Next
- Darla: Owned by Kirk Hammett of Metallica
- Fritz: Appears in every Chris Van Allsburg book
- Fuchs: Owned by Adolf Hitler
- Ronnie: Rick Springfield’s dog who appeared on his album Working Class Dog
- Spud: Dog in Toy Story
- Spuds Mackenzie: star of Bud Light commercials in the 1980’s
- Willie: Owned by General George S. Patton
Click here to view other Breed of the week posts for dog breed information!